Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Little Things


When you think about it--most of life is made up of little things.  That's certainly true for our annual Operation Christmas Child packing party, and, in many cases, for our OCC area team also.

We've had a precious few weeks to rejoice in God's goodness in giving us such a great harvest of shoebox gifts in 2015.  But now we're already into the double digit days of January--time to get busy on our 2016 boxes.

As I ponder and pray over goals for the coming year the numbers I am considering seem so large.  Still, those large numbers are all the result of little things done well.

Today's little thing has been sorting six giant bags filled with used bags left over from last year's packing party.  I store the stuffed animals in garbage bags and I like to use the nicer Force Flex ones that seem to hold up better.  They're fairly expensive, so I try to reuse all the bags I can.

Today I dragged those giant bags out of the storage container at church and brought them home where I carefully folded them and divided them into piles according to use.  The leftover white ones were folded to be used for my home trash and the shopping size ones were set aside to take to the local clothing pantry where I volunteer.  The ones that were unusable were set aside to be recycled.

It's a little thing, but it will save me some money to use to buy more things for shoeboxes and is also helping to keep more bags out of our landfills.

I've been called to report for jury duty tomorrow--another little thing.  It's a bit of an annoyance because I'm getting another truck delivery tomorrow.  This one was unexpected and I'm not absolutely sure what will be on it.  I know what I ordered from the company, and I'm kind of surprised it's not coming via Fed Ex as most of my orders do.  Thank goodness my faithful husband has volunteered to be on truck receiving duty in my place.

Of course here in Erie the weather turned blustery today--temps falling 20 degrees and the winds at 20 mph.  The winds and snow are supposed to continue tomorrow.  My greatest fear is that this truck delivery is going to contain a pallet with one giant box containing 1200 pairs of sunglasses that will have to somehow be put into boxes to be stored in the container--all outdoors with 20 mph winds.  I'm praying for God's grace as my husband handles this little matter.

Day by day those little things add up for all of us.  Faithfully doing dishes and cleaning bathrooms and even sorting plastic bags is really what makes up our lives.

Colossians 3:17 reminds us "Whatever you do, whether in word or in deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Hmm, I might have to leave that verse on the bathroom mirror for my husband in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment